Tuesday, February 26, 2008

AKIRA - live-action version


Japanese animation film AKIRA will be made into a live-action movie in Hollywood.
AKIRA was directed by Katsuhiro Otomo in 1988. Katsuhiro Otomo is a master of Japanese animation. AKIRA is one of my favorite animation film.

In animation version,the stage of the story is Neo-Tokyo in 2019,after 31 years of destruction with new bomb. Grotesque structure of city that wiring and pipes are exposed,lining huge buildings that emits brilliant neon lights,old section of city in ruins... The image of chaotic city is "Tokyo" exactly.

Music of AKIRA is amazing,too. The music was composed by Syoji Yamashiro (Geinoh Yamashirogimi). I think this music makes AKIRA more attractive work. When I watched this anime,I was absorbed in the story completely.

In live-action version, the stage of the story is Manhattan (N.Y.). Leonardo Dicaprio takes part in this work as a producer.

I have a simple question. "AKIRA" is Japanese boy's name. He is a key of the story.
Is the name changed into an American boy's name in Hollywood version...? If the title is changed,it's no longer AKIRA...(^_^;)

Anyway,I want the live-action version's AKIRA to become a cool and wonderful movie!



6 comments:

Iku said...

I've seen that, but I don't remember the story...^^;
I'd like to see a live action version!

ai said...

Hi Mk,
Do you know the original comic ? Katsuhiro Otomo is a cartoonist for me...

Anonymous said...

Akira will be a live action movie?I can't wait to see it.I like Akira animation is great!!!

Mika Kawasaki said...

Thank you for your comments IKU,Ai,beth!

AKIRA is complicated story. I can't explain that in English.^_^;

Yes,I've read the original comic,but I don't remember the details. I'm going to buy AKIRA's comic series translated into English.

Yes,I like AKIRA animation version,too. Surprisingly,this animation doesn't use CG at all!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mika! I've come to your site☆

I've ever read the comic books of Akira once because my younger brother had them. But I don't remember the story.

In Hollywood, movies are made with enormous money. I hope that the movie will be as good as you can satisfy.

William Wilson said...

Didn't know this will be live action. Will check into that. Cheers,...