Sunday, October 5, 2008

20th Century Boys : the movie

"The world faces it's end...by our "friend"."


I watched an interesting Japanese movie, "20th Century Boys". I was really excited. This movie kept me on the edge of my seat.

The outline is,
In 1969,an elementary school boy Kenji and his friends made up a fantasy story "Prophecy".
28years later,a series of mysterious cases happened around them. It resembled the story of "Prophecy" closely.
The world was slowly being threatened by the occurs. At last,on New Year's Eve 2000,"it" has come...
Is the criminal one of us? Who is the "friend"...?

The original is a comic book series "Twentieth Century Boys" by Naoki Urasawa.
The interesting thing is this movie uses "20th Century Boy" by T.REX as a theme song.
I heard that the actors are look-alike for the characters of original comics. (But I've never read the original comics.)
Etsushi Toyokawa as Otcho is very cool ! too cool !! He doesn't look around fifty at all !

This movie is the first film in the "20th Century Boys" trilogy and the second film will be released in Japan on January 31th. I can't wait it !

Does anyone know whether this movie is being released in other countries now?


6 comments:

Iku said...

That sounds like fun!!!
I want to see that movie, but I'm not inclined to go to the movie theater alone :(

Rashai said...

Very interesting! I'd try to find the dvd (if available) since no Japanese movie on cinema in this country :( actually we have Japanese Film Festival this week but this one not on show. By the way, do you like 'Death Note'? how you compare this movie with Death Note?

Cheers..

Mika Kawasaki said...

Hi Rashai,

The DVD has not been released yet..
Yes,I like 'Death Note'. Actors are very cool and now they are popular in Japan and Asia.
But '20th Century Boys' is more interesting than 'Death Note' for me! I like this story. Yukihiko Tsutsumi,director of 20th CB,is also famous that he always make interesting movie and drama. It has mystery and humor.

Rashai said...

Mika-chan,
Thanks for the info, you make me can't wait for the DVD :) I guess I have to be patient waiting for the DVD then.
Btw, can I link you blog on mine?
Arigato.

Mika Kawasaki said...

Hi Rashai,

Thank you!
Yes,Of course link OK!I'm glad☆
I'd like to link your blog,too.

Rashai said...

Arigato Mika-san!
I have linked your blog on mine.
Cheers..